Saturday, June 13, 2009

simple inspiration

Delving into the stack of books in the dying-to-read-when-I-make-the-time pile, I was flicking through the second Love-marks book when I came across a really powerful statement that resonates with me both as a business owner and a brand-professional.

“I am not interested in competing, I’m interested in making a contribution.”
Horst Rechelbacker – founder Aveda.

So much hype goes into watching, analysing others. Often seeking to emulate others’ successes. But the brands which have true meaning are exactly that – they focus on their meaning, purpose and customers – sod the rest. The rest can follow if they want to.

Why focus all your energy on where your energy on your competitors when you could be focusing all of your energy on where you brand and business want to be.

The most iconic brands are not revered for their competitive ability (although an important tactical advantage), they are revered for their place and contribution to people’s lives.

(4 Jan, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment