Thursday, March 29, 2012

Fail, fickle or pivot?



This great article on job hopping by Jaclyn Schiff is a really useful way of looking at rapid career changes both for conversations with potential employers and with yourself too.


As someone who is curious and demanding of myself to do the best possible work I can contribute to this world, if I don't think role is right, I change it. But I feel terrible and like a bit of a failure every time I do it, because it is not what we're meant to do.


But by the same token, I simply cannot lead a life without constantly striving for the place where I can make the most contribution. I just don't work that way.


Thank you Jaclyn for presenting job-change as a step towards where you are meant to be, a choice, rather than failure or fickleness.


Notes:
* For people who have many diverse interests, which can be a driver of regular job change, you may find Barbara Sher's book Refuse to Choose book a helpful way of ordering your interests and doing as many of them as you want. It's amazing. 

* A post on job hopping from a younger Chinese perspective - Flyleaf
Image source 

No comments:

Post a Comment